Enjoy the sight and sound of running water without a pond. Here at Synergy Landscape Group, we have been installing these pondless water features for years now in the North Metro Atlanta area. They are basically what the name says - falling water with a stream, and they are a great alternative for homeowners who don't want the hassle involved with the upkeep of a pond or large aquascape. These are often installed using the natural slope of your backyard. There are many different designs available for you to pick from.
Check out 63 relaxing garden and backyard waterfall ideas from DigsDig.
Click an image below to enlarge the photo.
These are designed like a fountain. They have a pool or water reservoir and a raised area which is often made from stones, blocks, or other types of masonry. A pump is inserted into the reservoir, and this will push water to the top of the system. Gravity pulls it back down again. These can be attached to a backyard water stream, and they work best in yards with a significant change in elevation. When attached to a stream, the water is pumped to the top, travels down, and then collects in the reservoir.
These can be put away when not in use - i.e. during the late fall and winter months. They are designed to be put into the ground where they will be covered and stored for later use. This will help to prevent algae from growing, and it can prevent you from having to clean it every so often to prevent the build-up of grime.
Sometimes, these aquascapes are added as part of a swimming pool's design. They drop pool water from an elevated area to the surface below.
This can be done fairly quickly and will involve the following steps:
- Choose the appropriate size - our landscapers will help you with this part.
- Select a location on the lawn.
- A garden hose or measuring tape can be used as an outline.
- A hole will be dug, creating shelving at certain depths.
- Land is made level.
- Underlayment and liner are put into place.
- Rock, gravel, and other hardscapes are added for aesthetics.
- The basin is filled in
- Edges are naturalized with mulch and plants.
- Testing of the system to be sure water is flowing like it should.